Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum,Methi) is an annual green leafy plant,and the crop cultivated worldwide. Fenugreek (Methi) leaves and seeds are commonly uses in dishes in Asia. The yellow colored fenugreek seeds (as spice) and fresh leaves are used in vegetable and in other dishes also sprouts Fenugreek (Methi) are used. Fenugreek has a unique sweet smell.
Health Benefit : The yellow color seeds,green leaves,dry leaves and powder of Fenugreek are used as spices in many Indian cuisines, preparation of pickles, vegetable, dal, curry, sambher, fishes etc, in both vegetarian and non vegetarian foods. The yellow color seeds are bitter in test but less bitter while they are roasted or fried
Use of Fenugreek (Methi) is good for-
1. Fenugreek (Methi) is rich in vitamins and minerals and of fiber, has many benefits to health, the true benefit of fenugreek (Trigonella foenum, Methi) is to enhance digestion, reduce blood sugar levels in diabetics, increases the breast milk (nursing mothers) etc. In Ayurveda, seed of fenugreek uses in sandhibat (joint pain), amavata (rheumatoid arthritis), gout, diabetics, increases the breast milk (to nursing mothers).
2. Fenugreek eases the process of menstruation and can provide relief in the menstruation associated symptoms,smoothed the cycle with comfort.
3. The real benefit of Fenugreek (Methi) is to lower the cholesterol levels significantly, help to reduce the level of LDL (bad cholesterol) and can protect to various cardiac-vascular complication like heart attacks, strokes, atherosclerosis, high blood pressure, etc.
4. Fenugreek (Methi) is famous in Ayurveda for controlling diabetes (madhumeh), most people uses seeds,green leaves,dry leaves and powder of Fenugreek (Methi) for controlling diabetes. It is supposed that Fenugreek (Methi) slows down the absorption rate of sugar into the blood. Also Fenugreek try to improve the production of insulin in the body.
5. Fenugreek is very useful in women (menstruation) related problem, Fenugreek contains some chemicals which are very similar to estrogen the female hormone,so Fenugreek provides good relief in menstruation related problem and helps to reduce menopausal symptoms.
Precaution : Do not take high doses of Fenugreek that can cause gastrointestinal upset, not to take in pregnancy because it has strong effect on the reproductive system. Fenugreek can low the blood sugar level so not to take in hypoglycemia.
NOTE : This information is not for any specific medication and/or any medical treatment and should not understand as such purposes,it is only for a general knowledge purposes.Contact to a qualified physician for any complication and medicinal use of Fenugreek (Methi).
Botanical name: Trigonella foenum-graecum
Family name: Fabaceae
Use part: Seed,green and dry leaves,
Other name: Methi (Hindi)
Vendayam (Tamil), Methi (Oriya)
Methi (Bengali), Miriyala (Telugu)
Methi (Gujarati), Methi (Assamese)
Our Motto "Health For All"